Thursday, April 17, 2008

Folk the World!

This past weekend I spent in a place that I had never spent more than a rest stop on my way to somewhere else. The rest stop that I took there was not much more than a month ago. Ironically, this place that I stepped foot on for the first time, and now have spent some substantial time there is going to be my place of living for the next four months.

Nashville caught my attention, and one way or another lured me into a deep, uncanny love with it. Ellie and I spent this past weekend there. The purpose being that I find a job and become somewhat familiar with the area. I had anxieties big and small in regards to this place that, I decided in the past two months, is where I will spend this summer. This summer that for some reason that I have yet to know has been so vital that I be there.

I became somewhat intrigued when Ellie came back at the beginning of the semester with all of her stories and insights about this place that I had never been. A place that I wasn't avoiding, but had never had a desire to go. Simply somewhere: somewhere that wasn't on my radar. I shuffled and filed it away until Casey posed the question "Why don't you come to Nashtown Kams?" This too was going to become Casey's home, but much sooner than mine. I filed away and filed away. I decided long before Christmas break even happened that I was going to figure out what I wanted to do this summer. So I searched and searched. I searched Mexico, Europe, California, Hawaii... the places I had wanted to go. Hearing from Casey about how much she loved it and Ellie's deep desires to go back (interjected with visits here and there to a place she so dearly loves), I continued to think. The files were beginning to creep out of their cabinets and walk towards the forefront of my brain. "What's holding me back?" Over and over again, Nashville keep coming into my mind and God made it evident that the only reason I wasn't going was because I would miss my family - the family that had so lovingly taken me in to live with them and be apart of their family not much more than a year ago from now. So thinking and praying Ellie said I should check out Rocketown, Casey told me of photographers that I should try and meet with and I talked it over with the Parents. They said: "It sounds like a great opportunity. If you think you should go, go. keep us updated on if you'll go or not..." So plans came together and I decided that I would live in Nashville for the summer and volunteer at Rocketown, hopefully working with photographers for most of the summer as well.

This past weekend I met some of the kids I'll be spending my summer with. I visited the buildings, the walls [coated in beautiful graffiti]. Heard bits of their stories. Connected with one, in particular, over the cleaning of bathrooms and emptying of trash. An apartment in a better area [safer and convenient], was presented to me for less money per month. Toured around the city, went to events, listened to Great music [Folk The World!], went to a church that I enjoyed, met people I will be working with, made plans for Rocketown's prom (yes, Ellie and I are going), spent time with Casey, at bookstores, etc etc etc. Cut three people's hair [one of whom is a three year old named Tristyn who now has a euro-mullet, and will soon be introduced to a faux hawk], ate Sushi, bought a pair of skinny jeans, had mint water from Publix for the first time, and saw my first ever (and brightest) triple-rainbow.

After asking that the Lord to reveal Himself to me just a week before, I saw the Lord's Hand in everything. He opened doors and is continuing to open doors as I prepare to be in this great little, almost forgotten [by me], town that I now so adore.

I will use this blog to document and record the time that I spend in Nashville, at Rocketown, with these kids, learning from them and loving each person I interact with, by the help of my Father.

I returned home to find that the next day Rocketown offered me a job teaching Photography during most of the month of June.

Codey told me weeks before visiting that "maybe you are supposed to be apart of a community that you do not know yet..." My full purpose there is not yet known, but what I do know is that I am to be an encourager to two important people in my life. I am supposed to share my story and demonstrate the love that my God has first given me.

The last two things I am waiting to be provided - a car (which Mr Maertens is, thankfully, helping me search for) and a job (which I am hoping the starbucks that is one mile from my house will hire me).

I will trust my God in all things.

No comments: